I LOVE episodes like the one I’ve got in store for you today. Why? Because I get to send flaming arrows into the conventional wisdom that’s keeping you stressed, sick and broke from all the wasted money you’ve likely spent on ineffective “cures”. Today I’m going to share with you the truth about that bad, bad, hormone – the “C-word”– cortisol ….
By the end of this episode, you’ll see why cortisol is actually one of your best allies for staying healthy and fit. But just like anything in excess, too much of it is where problems arise. Let’s dive in ...
Today, we’ll discuss:
- Why people have it all wrong when it comes to cortisol and stress. Here’s what’s actually going on, and why cortisol blockers are a baaaaaaddd idea … (1:39)
- The two different types of stress, and why one is really good, even though it, too, produces cortisol (1:55)
- Understanding “The Fishing Effect” so you can harness your natural cortisol production cycle to manage your insulin levels and, thus, stay focused, lose weight faster and sleep better (I don’t know of any health professional that has made this connection yet) (3:36)
- Do you struggle to wake up in the morning, and can’t get to sleep at night? You could have cortisol flip. Don’t ask your doctor. He likely doesn’t know jack about this. Here’s how to fix it … (4:08)
- A friendly suggestion for how to actively manage your excess stress to avoid excess cortisol (7:30)
- Get a dog. Seriously. Here’s why … (8:58)
A bit about the zebra ...
Not much is more stressful in the moment than getting chased by a massive lion that wants to tear your flesh and snap your bones. If zebras lived under that type of stress around the clock, they’d be the world’s fattest animal. But after a frenzied run, they rest and recover. They don’t live in constant stress. You’re not going to tell me that you ain’t as smart as a zebra, are you?
That’s what I thought. I hope you’ll take the lesson from today’s show and actively apply it to begin reducing excess cortisol and make it’s natural production your strong ally.
Thanks for listening. If you enjoyed the show, please leave me a review on iTunes and follow me on Facebook: facebook.com/KyleNewellFitnessExpert.
I’ll be back with you next week. Until then, win the week! You’re stronger than you know!
If you have show suggestions or an interesting idea you want me to talk about, please contact me at email@example.com or at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also leave a comment or review on today’s show. We love hearing from you!